HYPERCULTURAL CONVERSATIONS ON
Artellewa Art Space –
activation of dialogue between artists and society
with Hamdy Reda
WEDNESDAY, MAI 31, 8 PM
FRISE AIR HAMBURG
With friendly support of the Ministry of Culture Hamburg /
artellewa is an art space, founded and managed by visual artist Hamdy Reda since 2007. The space is located in Ard El Lewa, a densely populated informal area located between two of Cairo’s informal areas, Imbiba and Boulak El Dakrour. artellewa creates a space for the formation and activation of dialogue between artists and society; facilitates artists projects, offers workshops for community members and emerging artists, exhibits art and hosts artists-in-residence in addition to providing special projects to enrich the civic and cultural life in Ard El Lewa, and use art to improve the urban environment.
Hamdy Reda is a visual artist and curator and lives and works in Giza – Egypt. He is the founder and the managing director of “artellewa” – space for contemporary arts. Hamdy Reda is member of art syndicate of Egypt, Cairo Atelier, National and Arabian group for Culture policies.
Hamdy Reda is a well-known visual artist in the Egyptian artistic arena. His background as a painter as well as his experiments with photography form a very solid artistic foundation for his artwork – seen in his use of composition, lighting, and color. And he is famous for his bilateral dialogues with other artists: With collegues from within Egypt as well as with colleges from abroad, a lot of exciting exchanges and dialogues developed out of those cooperations. Mr. Reda’s work reflects an image of Egypt with its many contradictions – beauty and ugliness, wealth and poverty, modernity and underdevelopment. His images are created with a local Egyptian eye, but are adept at communicating with the international art scene. Mr. Reda’s work has been exhibited at many venues within Egypt as well as around the world, and he is a recipient of various artistic awards, which, together with the interest of art critics in his work, is evidence of his high profile as an artistic talent.
Artellewa Art Space
artellewa aims to create a space for reflection during this time of transition; a space for rejuvenation of ideas and progressive thoughts to connect Ard El Lewa and its inhabitants with the broader culture of the city and the world through art, in order to create a unique opportunity for Egyptian and foreign artists to interact and experiment with the local community and environment.
artellewa creates a space for the formation and activation of dialogue between artists and society.
Learn more: http://artellewa.com
Projects and Activities:
(1) Exhibitions: held in the artellewa Dokkan, a small workshop open to the street. In addition to exhibiting the work of established and emerging artists from Egypt and abroad, each year artellewa holds the first exhibition of at least one young Egyptian artist.
(2) Artists-led Workshops: artellewa coordinate and offer free of cost workshops, to community members and emerging artists. Manly in the field of visual arts, and culture fields in general.
(3) Artists-in-Residence: hosts foreign artists who interact with the community and environment of Ard El Lewa, research and produce artworks, show their work in the artellewa Dokkan , and build networks with the Cairo arts community. Artists have hailed from 13 countries, including Lebanon, Palestine, Sudan, Turkey, Jordan, Spain, Switzerland, Norway and the United States.
(4) Other Events: including daily open Artellewa library for all ages and kids activities, Meet-the-artist events offer the public the opportunity to hear about the work of local and international artists.
(5) Special Projects: which enrich the civic and cultural life in Ard El Lewa, and use art to improve the urban environment.